Pine Creek Veterinary Associates

Make an Appointment


Pet Travel & Health Certificates

Pet Travel & Health Certificates

International Travel and Hawaii

We strongly suggest that you initiate this process at least eight weeks before you plan to travel. A rabies titer is sometimes required, and the results can take over four weeks to be returned to us. Before an appointment can be made for international travel (excluding Canada), we must receive the EXACT destination address and the planned travel date. Health certificates require research by our veterinarians, after which clients will be contacted to set up appointment dates and receive further instructions. 

What to expect when you call us for an International Health Certificate:

  • You must email us the exact destination to which you are traveling, including street name and number, state or province, country and postal codes, and port of entry, if applicable. You must also email us your pet’s vaccination history and rabies certificate. If you are not a current client, please include your name, address, phone number, and email. Our email is
  • If you require a rabies titer, the office manager will contact you to set that up before scheduling your appointment.
  • Many countries require a microchip before you can bring in a pet. The 15-digit ISO pet microchip is the world standard, and if you are traveling to an EU country and your pet has a 9- or 10-digit microchip, you must have a 15-digit pet microchip implanted, or you will need to carry your own microchip scanner. We offer the 15-digit ISO microchip.
  • The office manager will contact you to schedule a date for your appointment.
  • Some countries also require an endorsement stamp from the USDA office in Harrisburg.  We can electronically send international health certificates to the office in Harrisburg.  However, postage (for the return certificates to travel) and USDA endorsement fees are due before we can submit any paperwork for endorsement.


Pets traveling to Canada need a signed rabies certificate that covers the entire duration of the travel. If you will be in Canada when your pet’s rabies certificate expires, you must see a Canadian veterinarian to get the vaccination before returning to the U.S.

Domestic (continental U.S., Alaska, & Puerto Rico)

Pets traveling within the U.S. need a general health certificate, which must be issued within ten days of the date of travel. A veterinarian must see the pet within this time frame to certify it is disease-free. Pets must be up to date on vaccines (or be brought up to date). Please give us at least a week’s notice when you need a domestic health certificate so that we can fit you into our schedule.